To realize the ASEAN Community, a key theme agreed upon by the member states was that the ASEAN Community should be truly people-centered. It is thus natural that the ASCC includes the promotion and strengthening of cooperation in areas that address the well-being of the people.
The ASCC seeks to establish an inclusive, people-centered community where the well-being, livelihood and welfare of the people are enhanced. In particular, the ASCC emphasizes close cooperation in the following areas:
- Human development;
- Social welfare and protection;
- Social justice and rights;
- Environmental sustainability;
- Building the ASEAN identity; and
- Narrowing the development gap.